Junior Spring Training Camp
Hunt, Texas is in the heart of the Hill Country on the Guadelupe River. It is located approximately 15 miles northwest of the town of Kerrville. Kerrville is 45 miles northwest of San Antonio on IH 10.
- When: 2 sessions, March 5-9 and March 12-16. Check-in is Monday morning, Check out is Friday after lunch. Additional days can be included at reasonable rates, please call David to customize your camp.
- Why: This camp is intended as a Spring Training Camp. This means road riding and lots of it. Mileage is the key and base for any training program. The weather is super that time of year in the hill country and we will take advantage of it. This will be a chance to learn more about competitive cycling while building an aerobic base.
- Staff: Camp will be led by USA Cycling National Athlete Development Manager, David Mayer-Oakes. David is a former professional road rider and was the ABLA Junior National Road Champion in 1974. Assisting will be USA Cycling Elite coach, James Karthauser and Michael Heitz.
- Cost: The 5-day package costs $325. This includes all meals, housing and coaching activities. Additional days are available at $50 per day. Deposit checks must be received by no later than February 10, 2001. This is an official USAC permitted training camp. All participants must hold a current USAC license, either USCF or NORBA. You will be responsible for your own equipment and its maintenance.
- Team Discounts: Team discounts are available to USCF or NORBA clubs with 6 or more people attending. Call or email David for more info.
- How to register: Send in the athletes standard entry form, medical release and proof of current health insurance along with your check for $325 made out to USA Cycling. Registration deadline is February 10. Late fee of $50 will apply to all checks received after that date. USAC reserves the right to cancel if enough participants do not register by the deadline. In that case all deposits will be refunded in full. A minimum of 12 participants per session is required.
- Schedule: The schedule may vary, depending on the weather, but will include approx. 400 miles of aerobic conditioning during the 5 days, as well as evening sessions with the coaches including the following subjects: Training Program Design, Bike Fit, and Peaking for major events.
- Airport Pickup: Airport pickup is for an additional $40 RT at the San Antonio airport. This is approx. 1-hour drive from Hunt. To arrange for airport pick-up please call David. Be prepared to either fax or email your itinerary.